Yes, this is an episode on cultural appropriation inspired by the infamous IG models who’ve been pretending to be black. Black Twitter isn’t having it! We’ll be discussing cultural appropriation from a broader view with a perspective that’s typically combated in this “woke” era.
- Cultural appropriation (we’ll say CA) has multiple definitions. Everyone sees it differently. CA isn’t a black vs. white phenomenon as it is seen outside the black community as well but we will be highlighting black-white CA.
- As long as you aren’t representing the black community as a caricature, joke, costume, etc then more than likely, it’s ok. (other black people may feel differently of course)
- Be careful what you call “culture”.
- When are we going to talk about how WE like to wear other’s cultures? Examples: Cardi B’s Bodak Yellow and Nicki Minaj’s Chung Li music videos.
- CA is a symptom of a much bigger problem
More in the actual episode!! Listen & Subscribe for more. Be sure to share this, you never know who wants to hear it:Spotify Google Play Music iTunes Stitcher Radio